Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Monet is hot!


From the previous posting, I expressed concern about navigating the French train system. Things worked smoothly. 

We took the train to Vernon and followed the hordes onto a bus that took us to the village of Giverny. Claude Monet bought a place there with the money he made from his art. He landscaped it to his likes and lived and painted there for 40 years.

I had some hint that Monet was a big deal but the tourist industry that has built up around him is pretty astounding. Kind of the Elvis of the Impressionists and I was in the middle of Graceland.

ML at our hotel
At 6:00PM, Giverny was quiet and a pleasant little town. Apparently, most visitors aren't spending the night as we were. 

After the crowds left


We had a nice meal at the hotel and our room was nice if a little cramped. Our room was in a garret and the walls sloped inward many places. I had to bend over a lot and be careful standing up. In the shower, I had to stand with my head in the skylight well!



In Monet's garden
The gardens that Monet designed are a popular draw. Have you seen this bridge before?







Lila & Milton Moorer
in Monet's  garden


And here are those east Texans that stormed Paris. Here they are laying waste to Monet's garden.










And I got some pictures. Here are a few.



No comments:

Post a Comment